Sacral Chakra Balancing
How to Balance Your Sacral Chakra
By Linda Dieffenbach, BSW, RMT
November 28, 2016
The Sacral Chakra (Second Chakra) is located about 1 to 1 ½ inches below the naval. This chakra is your center for nurturing, connection, power and boundaries. It is the place of connection to self and others.
Properties of the Sacral Chakra
Sacral Chakra Physical Influences:
The Sacral Chakra influences the sacral area, the female reproductive organs, the large intestine and colon, and the bones and muscles of the pelvic area.
Sacral Chakra Consciousness Influences:
The Sacral Chakra oversees energetic and/or emotional connection and merging with other people, situations and experiences. Through this chakra, you energetically and physically open to an embodied experience of oneness through sensual and sensory experiences. This includes the experience of union through transcendent joyous surrender experienced through physical experiences such as dance, music, being in nature, and sex.
This chakra is associated with your ability to maintain a healthy connection with yourself and to create and maintain healthy boundaries. Through this chakra, you set limits and protect yourself in the same manner as you protect your loved ones.
The Second Chakra is also your “Chi” or power center. It is both the place of the inner nurturer and the inner warrior. Like a mamma bear who devotedly cares for her young and fiercely protects them, the Sacral Chakra houses the longing to care for and nurture self, as well as create strong, healthy boundaries that keep you safe. Charisma, self-identity, self-empowerment and core strength reside here.
Is Your Sacral Chakra in Balance?
Your chakras are rich, deep, complex and many layered energy systems that hold the history of your life experience. They are constantly interacting with and impacted by the world around you. As you go through life, each experience affects your energy and health. A healthy chakra processes and digests these experiences, enabling healthy growth. Experiences, such as conflicts or traumatic events that are not processed and digested lead to imbalances (i.e. become over or under active), blockages, damage and dysfunction in the affected chakra(s).
Chronic stress, trauma, conflict and unaddressed issues create chakra imbalances that lead to significant physical, emotional and mental health problems. Self-care is therefore of the utmost importance.
Here are some things to look for to help determine if your Sacral Chakra is healthy and in balance.
Signs of a Balanced Sacral Chakra:
- Awareness of and a strong, healthy desire for what you want in life
- Connects and interacts easily with others
- Healthy sense of personal power
- Nurtures both self and others equally
- Able to both give and receive with ease
- Embraces self as a sexual being and has a healthy and balanced relationship with sex
- Healthy sex drive
- Balanced hormones
- Able to maintain safe, healthy boundaries
Signs of an Imbalance in the Sacral Chakra:
- Weak, rigid or unhealthy boundaries
- Enmeshed relationships
- Inability to nurture self or receive nurturing from others
- Overly giving or unable to give to others
- Power over/power under struggles
- Poor sense of self-worth/low self-esteem
- Reproductive problems (women)
- “Doormat”/excessive people pleasing
- Mood swings, overly emotional
- Sexual imbalances (promiscuity, repression, STD’s, addiction, impotence, etc.)
- Hormone imbalance
- Inability to be vulnerable – “Must be strong”
- Disconnected from needs and wants
- Detached from others
- Guilt and shame
- Extreme shyness or constant need to be center of attention
Tips and Tools for Balancing Your Sacral Chakra
Trauma, unresolved conflicts, karmic and past life circumstances, belief systems and/or chronic behavioral patterns cause imbalances, blockages, and/or damage in the chakras. When imbalances in the chakra system are unresolved, over time the blockage of energy flow manifests as illness, dis-ease or disorder. When the physical body is under continued stress, the chakras will not work properly. The key to healing is to address the root cause of the disorder, not just the symptoms. If you are struggling in some area, it is important to find a qualified healer to support you in your healing process. Various forms of energy healing such as Reiki, Acupressure and Chakra Clearing can help relax, re-balance and open the chakras during a session. In doing so, it creates the opportunity for the chakra to repair itself, stimulating the healing process.
Here are some self-care tips and tools you can use to strengthen your Sacral Chakra.
Methods to help balance the Sacral Chakra:
- Practice loving and appreciating your body – looking at your body with appreciation, running your hands over your body, feeling joy in your body, honoring your body
- Establish and maintain healthy boundaries in your relationships
- Tap into your creative power
- Engage in fun sensual activities – dance, take luxurious baths, get a massage, make love with your partner, etc.
- Journal about your needs and wants
- Hip opening Yoga poses
- Watch the sunset or sunrise
- Spend time near water – the ocean, a river or lake, etc.
- Heal issues related to sexual trauma, power, boundaries, family dysfunction, gender
- Practice healthy empowerment
A general note about Chakra Health
You are constantly interacting with and responding to the world around you. So are your chakras. Practices that help clear and re-balance the chakras are never a “once and done” activity. Just as you would not expect your body to remain clean forever after one shower, your chakras are not going stay clear forever after one meditation or one Reiki session. On-going energetic self-care plays is essential for overall chakra health and well-being. In areas where there is imbalance or damage to one or more chakras, more intensive treatment may be warranted until healing is complete.
About Linda Dieffenbach:
Linda has over 15 years experience as an energy healer, coach and personal development expert. She specializes in empowering you to overcome the patterns and habits that are keeping you feeling stuck and overwhelmed with your life. Her areas of training and expertise include personal empowerment, self-care skills, stress management, healthy relationships, effective communication, suicide prevention, and trauma. To learn more about Linda, click here. Interested in working with Linda? Click here.